List of All India Council of Technical Education Approved Universities
Latest of Universities, UGC, DEC & AICTE News
The beginning of formal technical education in India can be dated back to the mid-19th century. Major policy initiatives in the pre-independence period included the appointment of the Indian Universities Commission in 1902, issue of the Indian Education Policy Resolution in 1904, and the Governor General’s policy statement of 1913 stressing the importance of technical education, the establishment of IISc in Bangalore, Institute for Sugar, Textile & Leather Technology in Kanpur, N.C.E. in Bengal in 1905, and industrial schools in several provinces.It has survived not only five centuries All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) was set up in November 1945 as a national-level apex advisory body to conduct a survey on the facilities available for technical education and to promote development in the country in a coordinated and integrated manner. And to ensure the same, as stipulated in the National Policy of Education (1986), AICTE was vested with:
• Statutory authority for planning, formulation, and maintenance of norms & standards
• Quality assurance through accreditation
• Funding in priority areas, monitoring, and evaluation
• Maintaining parity of certification & awards
• The management of technical education in the country.